Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Random thoughts on Simplicity

We are getting ready to get our new carpet installed this coming Friday-Saturday. Just one of many steps to get our 4 year old townhouse ready to be put on the market in May. One of the other tasks besides basic maintaince of little nigglys that need to be fixed around our home, is the task of de-cluttering. Ive studied articles on HGTV.com & one of the tips of selling a home is to get rid of half of the homeowners belongings, so that the buyer can see the house instead of excess clutter laying around.

Im sure they mean that "getting rid of half of ones stuff" means putting it away in boxes; but Joel & I were talking about wanting to make this move a step towards simplicity. So--- that means donating and/or purging belongings that just take up space--which the extra benefit is that there will be no extra stuff to pack, load and unload again!

For those of us "Seasoned Movers", you know what I mean, right???LOL! Personally; I've moved 7 times over the last 10 years-- you would think I would have learned this concept by now?? LOL!

As I contiplated more into this idea; indeed we have accumulated a lot of "stuff" in our 8 years of married life together. I can clearly remember living in my apartment with my two boys before Joel and I got married and clearly it wasnt even close to what Joel and I own now. Whoa... we've aquired lots of "nick nacks and paddy whacks" (aka.. "stuff") over the last 8 years!!!!! I figured at least one third (or more) of the items in our home can be donated!!!

Thinking of moving to Texas has put a new attitude on how we want to live our lives. Basically, our relocation will be a time of new beginnings in our lives and a fresh start. Down sizing sounds refreshing to me, actually. To much stuff actually stresses me out and relocating will now motivate me even more to get more organized! :)

I am currently reading the book "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle, and the more that I read; Ive come to a reality check that " less is more" and what we own and/or possess doesnt define "who" we really are! That realization was quite an epiphany-- a real eye opener that spoke to my spirit!

I pondered what living the simple life means, so I researched it on Wikipedia.com:

Simple living
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Simple living (or voluntary simplicity) is a lifestyle individuals choose to minimize the 'more-is-better' pursuit of wealth and consumption.

Adherents choose simple living for a variety of reasons, such as spirituality, health, increase in 'quality time' for family and friends, stress reduction, conservation, social justice or anti-consumerism, while others choose for personal taste or personal economy.

Simple living as a concept is distinguished from those living in forced poverty, as it is a voluntary lifestyle choice. Although asceticism may resemble voluntary simplicity, proponents of simple living are not all ascetics.

The term "downshifting" is often used to describe the act of moving from a lifestyle of greater consumption towards a lifestyle based on voluntary simplicity.

Joel and I have made some short term and long term goals:

1. That Joel lands a permanent position in a job that he loves
2. Home ownership with no mortgage.
3. Becoming debt free (as it says in the Holy Bible that "we should owe no man , but to love one another". Romans 13:7-8)
4. Gift of Giving & being a blessing to others (To keep giving to others who are in need, such as: our home church, World Vision, various ministries and charities)

Currently, we own both our cars, own pre-paid cell phones & refuse to keep up with the Joneses. I think we are off to a good start, actually!

(I'll just need to keep my love for Home decor, clothes and scrapbooking in check and I think I'll be smooth sailing.. LOL)

No comments: