Wednesday, October 3, 2007

My Son

Although I didn't personally write this myself; I can relate to this. This is what it is like for parents of children who have Autism.

My Son

Is the one you see at the playground, not playing with the other kids. He is content to sit alone, and let sand fall through his fingers and onto his leg.

He is the child in the store, having a meltdown, and I can't always figure out why. His senses are stronger than my own. Everything is brighter and louder to him. The crowds of people are uncomfortable to him.

My child is the one who would rather switch the light on and off than sit down and play a game with me at the table. He would rather throw the crayons across the room than color. He would rather walk around with a c.d. in his hand than to play with his toy. He is the one who hates to get dressed,and fights me into a sweat when it's time to, because he can't stand the feel of the fabric on his skin.

He doesnt seem to mind that it's cold, he's more comfortable with nothing on. He is the one who insists on sameness. He would watch the same movie over and over all day if he could. It wrecks his day when he can't have his favorite cup or bottle. He thrives on things being the same,and doesnt understand it when things change, or when mom can't find his favorite thing.

My son is the one who can't express himself with words, so he uses crying, he hits, he bangs his own head on the floor to express his feelings. but most important, my son is my son, and he is the boy who can brighten my day when i do get a smile from him.

He is the boy I love to cuddle on the couch when he's ready to do that. He is the one that makes me see the world a little different, and makes me and everyone he knows realize that it's okay to be different,and march to the beat of your own drum.....

I am the mom who looks frazzled when i'm shopping. I am the mom who walks away in a sweat after changing a diaper. I am the mom who will search the whole darn house for that one special cup to make the crying stop. I will watch that kid movie 5 times in a row, because it makes my son happy. I am the mom who lives for those smiles and butterfly kisses! And I am the mom who would not have it any other way.

Thank you, my son.

No comments: