Thursday, November 8, 2007

Power of Gratitude

I've heard it said that whenever someone feels discouraged in their life's circumstances, they should sit down and write out a Gratitude list. Its a simply an inventory of our blessings in our lives of things that are going well, and even things that we lose sight over.

As a Mother of a child with special needs; Im finding this to be especially true on the challenging days. But you know what? Through my son's life, I am finding more and more about God's unlimited mercy & grace. Lord knows that I am human, make mistakes, but I can face each new day just knowing that His mercy and grace is fresh each and every morning!

I pray for Him to continue to guide my footsteps, or I would be so lost. In fact, my husband & I often find ourselves practicing humility (more often these days it seems) with a prayer of "Help us God.. We dont know what to do"

That would be my number one thing to be thankful for. To turn things over to the Lord through prayer & watch Him work in our lives. Recently, I was asked by a friend how I stayed so positive (even though the rough times) My answer was to turn circumstances over to God and completely trust in Him (Proverbs 3:5)

They say when we count our blessings, they always outnumber our problems. Giving thanks is even good for our health. I really find the mind/body connection an awesome thing as it does reflect what I believe in through my faith in God. :)

The Power of Gratitude...

Sharpens.... Naturally grateful people are more focused mentally and less vulnerable to Clinical Depression.

Calms.... A Grateful mind induces a physicological state thats associated with lowering our blood pressure and heart rate.

Defends... Spend 15 minutes a day thinking of things youre grateful for will significantly increase your body's natural antibodies.

Strengthens.... Caring for others is draining. But grateful caregivers are healthier and more capable than less grateful ones.

Heals.... Recipients of donated organs who have the most grateful attitudes heal faster.

Finally, no matter what our circumstances, we should offer up a Prayer of Thanksgiving. I found this little prayer in one of my devotional mailings by one of my favorite Pastors & I loved it so much that I put it by my nightstand, so I can see it when I wake up and before I fall asleep every night.

Prayer Of Thanksgiving

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for all that You've given me.... I am Blessed!
I am grateful for loving relationships, for your daily provision and most of all, for Your hand of mercy and grace over my life.
I know that I am worthy of all these bountiful blessings, not because of what Ive done, but because of who YOU are and what Jesus had done on Your behalf.
I am eternally thankful for Your presence in my life.
My prayer is to grow closer to You than ever before.

AMEN.

I hope it encourages you as much as it has me! :)

No comments: