Thursday, February 22, 2007

Stereotypes

Recently; I had a discussion with my 17 year old son. He has a new classmate from England, who relocated to the United States last year. The boys have became friends & got together to hang out while on their Mid Winter Break from high school. My son was bringing a few DVD's over to his friends house to watch & was amazed that since his friend was from England, had not seen "Monty Pyton: Holy Grail" yet. We started talking about stereotypes and how they are commonly used today.

Sadly, stereotypes are used frequently in todays world. My question is how can we focus on the individuals that the Lord created us to be with sterotypical remarks in the world today? It's frustrating to me! In the past; Ive personally dealt with stereotypical remarks made toward myself; but it doesnt change my identity. Just because I have a certain hair color and happen to be female doesnt make me less of a person. I have also heard stereotypical remarks being made towards Christians as well. Just because we choose to follow Christ; some individuals think we are "holier than thou" Not true! Its not about legalism, its about love for our creator and being in a relationship with Him!

I used to struggle with my identity years ago, as I grew up as a child with a Mother who was capable of being verbally abusive at times. Ive came a long way since then; because I know who I am and where I am going in life as a confident, intelligent woman! After all, we all have our strengths and weaknesses!

Enough said! LOL

No comments: