Sunday, April 22, 2007

God is like a GPS system

Joel and I are enjoying our GPS system that we bought last month with a portion of the money from our tax return. We had bought a less expensive model, a Garmin Street Pilot 330-- that easily adheres to our car windshield by a suction cup. I was born direction challenged, so this is ideal for driving at night and also for driving around the streets that I'm not that familiar with around the Seattle area. If you have ever driven in Seattle, then you can understand just what I mean! LOL

I really like the way that you just program in the address and it gives you the shortest route to the location. This was really a nice investment, to save me time and unwanted stress! I really like the way that when you get off course, the GPS automatically recalculates your route from where you are to get you to your location. Since it is portable, we can take it with us when we travel, as Joel will be doing when he travels to Michigan to attend his son, Josh's upcoming graduation from Hillsdale College this May.

I heard a well known Pastor reflect on how God is like a GPS system. Even though we get off course in our lives sometimes; the Lord always recalculates it so we get the point in our lives where we need to be. Just like that GPS system, when we get off track... you'll never hear Him say "You Idiot, you're going the wrong way!!!" Instead, being the loving God that He is; He just recalculates where we are in our lives-- then leads us in the direction where He had originally planned for us; so we'll eventually "arrive at our destination."

Like a GPS system, we must program our "route" by prayer, to listen for the Lord's directional cues, then ask for guidance and wisdom liberally. I've found that the Lord loves it when we humble ourselves by totally trusting in Him when we ask for His help-- as we can't see the final destination to where that He wants us to be--but only a glimpse of it.

I can only imagine the Lord thinking, as I have gotten off course from His plan for my life (and believe me, I have fallen short many times!) "Oh no... she's off course again... Recalculating!!!" LOL

Now, if that isnt reasurrance-- than I don't know what is :)







No comments: