Saturday, April 28, 2007

Lies Of the Enemy & A Loving God (My testimony)

I've heard a good message by a well known Pastor regarding Healthy Relationships the other day. She said that God brings people into our lives to bless us, while the enemy also bring people into our lives to try to destroy us (or curse) us from God's plan for our life.

I can easily testify to both of these points. I grew up with a Mother who lacked a proper role model in her life, as her own Mother was mentally and physically ill. The effects of that relationship later escalated into how my Mother chose to deal with me while I was growing up. A very low self esteem resulted from my Mom's verbally abusive attacks on me. On the other hand; I was blessed with a loving father, who loved me and never had said unkind words to me. I was the apple of his eye and until the day that he passed away in 2002, I knew that I was loved. Unfortunately, my Mom and dad had divorced when I was 10 years old, so I lived with my Mother and step-father, who had a strained relationship themselves. I was taken away from the daily contact of my dad's loving kindness, so I wasnt filled with the positive no longer, only the negativity which came from my Mother.

I married in 1985, in order to escape my Mom's abuse. The marriage lasted 10 years. In that marriage, I was blessed with two sons, Josh and Jeremy. I had always wanted to be a Mother and I promised myself that I would never let my boys hear an unkind word about them out of my mouth. To this day, I can gratefully say, that I had kept that promise. My Mom always had told me "You're Nothing like Me, Your just like your dad" in which that is 100 percent true. But, back then, that was meant to be an insult on her part.. I just hadnt had that revelation yet! LOL

While I was married, going to church was on special occasions. It seemed odd to me, as I thought I had married a Christian man. His parents were church going people, and we had many dates in the church. Unfortunately, the marriage was strained and I eventually filed for divorce after my husband had confessed that he had an affair.

Unfortunately, I had strayed away from God at this time and tried to seek love, acceptance and approval from relationships with men that were unhealthy and destructive to me. I worked hard being a single Mother to support my two sons, while putting myself through college.

Three years later, I had met the man who was an answer to my prayers. I started going to church regularly during this time and filled my spirit with the Word of God. We eventually married in 2000 and had a son, a year later in 2001.

Ive grown alot in the last eight years. But unfortunately, the enemy will continue to sabatoge everything that the Lord has tried to build up in my life. My Mother is a good example. Today, our relationship continues to be strained and estranged after many attempts on my part to reconcile the relationship.

Since then, I had to set boundaries and limits on my relationship with my Mother. I refuse to believe the lies of the enemy, which comes out of my Mothers mouth. Instead, I chose the Word of God and finally know who I am in Christ.

I pray that my testimony will be an encouragement to someone. Refuse to believe the enemies lies. The devil is a lier and only comes to kill and destroy relationships and His purpose for our lives.

I must be on the right path for my life, because I have received many attacks of the enemy over the years. Ive learned that the enemy will try to counterattack and enlist allies in order to try to destroy your life and what God has put into our life. We need to feed ourselves daily with the Word of God as we arent wrestling with Flesh and Blood, but powers and principalities (of the enemy)

Ive got a song for the devil and it goes something like this:

" So don't you knock on my door. I won't be home anymore,You can find me out walking (With the Son ), Oh, you hide it so well, It isn't easy to tell, But I know a heartache when I see one!"

The battle isnt ours-- its the Lords. And knowing the truth (0f the Word of God) shall set us all free!

No comments: