Monday, April 30, 2007

Hillary Clinton Speaks about Autism Awareness

I don't really care that much for politics, nor I really don't consider myself a Republican nor Democrat. I'm just not a political person. Period. I look forward to the day when there is no longer a political system, only to worship our Creator in Heaven and His Kingdom. However, I do exercise my right to vote & I tend to vote depending on where the candidate stands on issues; not for the political party that they represent.

On the last day of April-- in which the whole month of April is Autism Awareness month; I ran across this video and found it refreshing to me. As a parent with a child that has autism, it is awesome to see someone take a stand to this issue & the needs of a child and their families.

Our son, Noah was 3 years old when his pediatrician "suspected" that Noah had PDD-NOS; but never told us that we needed to get him formally diagnosed. Instead, he only referrred us to a speech therapist.The intervention team at Noah's preschool also thought Noah fell under the catagory of autism, but now that Noah will be starting kindergarten this Fall, he is only limited to certain services, as he only falls under the catagory of "developmentally delayed".

Noah can only receive limited services under that catagory, as he is yet to get the formal diagnosis of autism at this point. It was an answer to our prayers when I happened to find help through a neurologist, who specializes in autism and finally Noah will be able to get the diagnosis this August. This was a blessing in disquise as I happened to respond to an advertisement looking for kids with autism, for a research clinical trial.

Im sure you can only imagine our frustration if you don't have a child with special needs! This is the first that I've heard so far of a political candidate who has addressed the issue of autism.





No comments: