Friday, April 20, 2007

::A Mom's Frustration!::

When Noah was 3 years old, his pediatrician said that he suspected that Noah had PDD-NOS (autism) and I found out through Noahs school nurse today when she was doing his re-evaluation at preschool (he is now 5) that he doesnt qualify for any additional services other than the ones that he has now, cause he wasnt formally diagnosed! If he had been formally diagnosed, he could go to kindergarten for an extended day in the Fall (instead of a half day) participate in a summer school program this year, among other additional services!!!!!!!!

My frustration is why didnt the pediatrician give us a referral to get Noah diagnosed 3 years ago when he first suspected it? And when we had medical insurance?????? All he gave us was a referral to a speech therapist. My husband is currently working a contract position, so we dont have medical insurance at all now, and we did back then 3 years ago!!! Stupid me, assumed that since the pediatrician suspected that Noah had PDD-NOS, my husband and I took that for a diagnosis.We had no clue that he had to be formally diagnosed with autism to qualify for services!!!! He does get services at school now, under the catagory of being "developmentally delayed". He works with a speech pathologist and a occupational therapist, but he could be getting more help!!!

Besides, I really don't care for this pedatrician. He seems stern and uncaring, unlike the pediatrician that Noah had when he was a baby (Unfortunately, he retired and hubby changed medical plans, so we ended up with the one that we have now)I cant wait until my husbands contracted position becomes permanent. I have already told him to get another medical plan, so we can get Noah a new pediatrician! I cant believe this... this is so upsetting, especially when we are trying to do everything that you can to help our little boy.

SIGH!!! Sorry, just had to vent!!!!! It's been one crazy day!

No comments: