Thursday, September 6, 2007

Back to School Transitional Challenges

Well... yesterday-- our 5 year old son, Noah's first day at kindergarten went okay, but not as I hoped for. Looks like we'll be having to break in a new teacher after Noah has been used to his preschool teacher for a straight 3 years, though. He cheerfully got on the bus when it came, but unfortunately when it was time to get off the bus & to go into the school building-- the principal had to come and get Noah off the bus. He was scared & overwhelmed with the new surroundings already. :(

After school....When I went to go pick him up, they were already lined up outside. I met Noahs teacher--a nice, older lady in her late 50's. :) She said that Noah wrote his name well, but didnt sit criss cross applesauce for circle time. He prefered to lay on the floor instead. :(

I told her that sometimes he needs to warm up to new environments and once he gets to know her and the new classroom better, he'll be just fine. She asked me if they had explained to me the difference between the special ed class and intergrated class??

(Yep, I am totally familiar!!... this wasnt anything new to me!)

I told her that Noah was in an intergrated preschool class for the last 3 years and thrived with his preschool teacher and the structured enviroment.

I mentioned that I had a copy of his Autism diagnosis, and was taking it to the office for his file. She said that she didnt see the Autistic characteristics in Noah. (I thought to myself why do people tend to stereotype children with Autism?? They are all different, even though they share common characteristics in the Autism spectrum. Noah happens to be in the higher functioning end of the Spectrum scale, so of course, it won't be as apparent... but, it does exist)

I shared with her that he has the characteristics at home & will be more apparent as she works with him. I got the impression that I might have to be Proactive to get Noahs needs across.

Im praying that Noah will adapt well... the transition from preschool to elementary is terrifying for any child who has autism.On the other hand, Im looking forward to working with his new teacher and the intervention team.:)

No comments: