Friday, September 14, 2007

Fruitfulness Of our Words

It speaks in the Bible of "Fruits of the Spirit" and having a fruitful life.

I have been contiplating the "Fruitfulness" of our words & actions in our lives for awhile now. It is common for an individual to speak ill of another in order to build their self esteem up, say things in haste because we didnt think before we spoke, or just out of spite and revenge. Nevertheless, words are hurtful!

Recently, a friend of my 17 year old son's parents said something very unfruitful to their son. They refused to celebrate and acknowledge the date of their son's birthday due to his chosen sexuality. I can't even begin to imagine the effect that it had on this young man.

Instead, I felt in my heart that I would take this young man under my wing and make the day better for him. My son, invited him over, along with a few friends after school & we celebrated his birthday with a pizza party. I wanted so much to undo the effect that his parents had done, after all, this young man sought what we all do.... simple love and acceptance.

It made me think of my own life & the words that I speak. As I prayed one day, I asked the Lord was I being fruitful in my words and actions & to search my heart and to make it clear to me if I wasn't, so I could change course (or repent) of my actions.

The dictionary defines fruitful as:

fruit·ful

adj.
1.
a. Producing fruit.
b. Conducive to productivity; causing to bear in abundance: fruitful soil.
2. Producing something in abundance; prolific: a fruitful author of fiction.
3. Producing results; profitable. See Synonyms at fertile.

Even though I mess up on occasion, I pray that I will think before I speak... and ask myself... are my words "fruitful" to my listener?

It is said that our Thoughts become Words...
Words become actions...
Actions Become Habits...
Habits become character...
and Character becomes our destiny!

I know that I am still work in progress, but I pray these words will pave the way for others to do the same. :) After all, a fire starts with a tiny spark. :) (wink)


No comments: